Happy day

Hello all, here we are approaching the end of the first month of 2014 already.

I must get on my soapbox again about electrical safety issues as I have been made aware of some serious limitations of understanding.

If you live in a house built and wired before 1955 there are some specific things you should watch out for regarding electrical use. For example, if you are going to use a space heater if would be safer if you could purchase one that has the ability to switch the wattage to a lower setting and not go above the middle setting. Older wiring is very sensitive to high draw devices like space heaters and hand held hair dryers so be careful when you use them.

Next, the phasing out of incandescent bulbs not only will save energy it will reduce the danger of fire in older homes as people will not be able to put 110 watt bulbs in ceiling. So if you have been squirrelling away 100 watt light bulbs and you live in an older home, be advised that high wattage bulbs in certain ceiling fixtures is one of the biggest electrical dangers.

If you have any questions or need any advice, email me at Jayson@JKJElectric.com



Happy New Year !

Folks, let’s please not start the year off with an electrical fire. I did a service call yesterday and the homeowner had a very light duty (lamp type) extension cord feeding the refrigerator in the garage. Not good. If you need to do something like that, please use a heavy duty extension cord of at least 15 amp, preferably 20 amp.

Here are some other tips to keep safe from electrical fires this winter:

Keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from anything and don’t use extension cords to feed them.

Make sure you have working smoke detectors. If you do not have a 120 volt, battery back up smoke detector in every bedroom and on every floor (and the ones on every landing should be combo-CO/smoke detectors), consider calling JKJ Electric for a free quote to have them installed properly.

If you have water leaking into your house from snow and ice and it is travelling anywhere near electrical wiring or equipment, don’t wait to get the leak corrected and the electrical items inspected by a qualified electrician.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me anytime at Jayson@JKJElectric.com


Hello all, I hope everyone weathered the storms well. No power outages this time but they will be coming, no doubt.

JKJ Electric is an authorized Generac installer. Have us give you a free estimate for a whole house generator. The peace of mind having back up power affords you is priceless.

We are now associated with a company that installs solar shingles on your roof. I believe that these will be on every house someday. Be the first on your block to generate your own electricity. You will save money and help the planet.

Now as the holidays approach, do not forget the less fortunate and give what you can. If you have any light fixtures or working appliances that you want to donate contact us and we will help you.


Well, here we are, just past Thanksgiving and suddenly it is only 3 weeks til Christmas.

Best wishes to all for a safe and happy holiday season. Don’t forget some of the basics to stay safe.

Use GFI protection for your outdoor Christmas/holiday lighting, make sure your smoke detectors and CO2 detectors have fresh batteries and are working properly, don’t leave space heaters running unattended, and regarding space heaters being used in houses pre-1970 please keep the wattage setting as low as you can, and don’t drink and drive.

If you have any other questions about safety and electricity please feel free to email me at Jayson@JKJElectric.com. I am a master electrician with 40 years of experience. Your safety and well being are important to me.