Hello all, here we are approaching the end of the first month of 2014 already.

I must get on my soapbox again about electrical safety issues as I have been made aware of some serious limitations of understanding.

If you live in a house built and wired before 1955 there are some specific things you should watch out for regarding electrical use. For example, if you are going to use a space heater if would be safer if you could purchase one that has the ability to switch the wattage to a lower setting and not go above the middle setting. Older wiring is very sensitive to high draw devices like space heaters and hand held hair dryers so be careful when you use them.

Next, the phasing out of incandescent bulbs not only will save energy it will reduce the danger of fire in older homes as people will not be able to put 110 watt bulbs in ceiling. So if you have been squirrelling away 100 watt light bulbs and you live in an older home, be advised that high wattage bulbs in certain ceiling fixtures is one of the biggest electrical dangers.

If you have any questions or need any advice, email me at Jayson@JKJElectric.com

 

Advertisements